One of the thirteen – “Ville de Quebec”
The once proud Canadian Halifax aircraft are now wingless birds, pushed together, waiting to be crushed like grapes. In this Lindsay photo taken after 15 May 1945, he records the nose art on Halifax Mk. III, serial NP957, in the graveyard at No. 43 Group. Rawcliffe. This was photo roll #1, print #2, maybe the first Canadian Nose Art selected by Lindsay for return to Canada. In the background you can see the fuselage of seven other wingless Halifax aircraft.
One of the most impressive paintings in the complete collection.
NP957 was built in the first week of September 1944, delivered to No. 427 squadron on the 13th of the month, code “L”. The first operation was flown on 24 September 1944 to Calais, the last and 40th operation on 25 February 1945 to Mining.
The Halifax Mk. III, was transferred to No. 429 squadron on 1 March 1945, code “U”, completing three operations, 2 March [Cologne] 5/6 March [Chemnitz] and 13 March 1945 to Wuppertal.
On 16 March 45, NP957 arrived at her last squadron, No. 425 [Alouette] where she received code KW-Q [Q for Quebec]. The Halifax flew ten operations, seven by the crew of P/O Kolisnek, who had the nose art applied. After completing 53 operations the Halifax was ordered for disposal on 6 May 1945, arriving at No. 43 Group, Rawcliffe, on 14 May, struck off charge by RAF the following day.
The above information is taken from this Website.